A Team advance in Connacht Shield after penalty shoot out

Gary Devaney of the A Team Management quartet reports on Sunday’s long awaited Connacht Shield tie with Roscommon side Dysart FC which ended in a penalty shoot out.

The long awaited Connacht Shield game against Dysart FC went ahead in Athlone IT AstroTurf pitch on Sunday afternoon and yet again this group of players showed everyone what they are made of.  The first half was one to forget for the Colemanstown lads as they found it difficult to get to grips with the surface and size of the pitch and had a few close calls at the back but Jason Finn, Stephen Rabbitt, Ronan Carr and Padraig Quirke were as reliable as ever in front of a solid Kevin Sayers in goal. Geordan Kenny and Robbie Lally worked hard up front and caused problems for the Dysart defenders and Colemanstown were denied a blatant penalty when Geordan Kenny was taken down when through on goal, but the referee turned a blind eye.

Dysart got a lucky break just before half time when a lucky bounce saw one of their players put through on goal and he calmly slotted it home to give them the lead. Dysart started the second half as they finished the first and doubled their lead after a goalmouth scramble. 

Most teams wouldn’t have had the bottle to try to get back into the game and that’s probably what Dysart thought too but they were in for a surprise. The central midfield duo of Gary Lally and Richie Lally started to control the play and the Dysart midfield were no match for them, men against boys. Damien Wynne and Conor Callaghan on the wings were also starting to win their individual battles too.

Dylan Grady was introduced and immediately caused trouble for the Dysart defence when he turned them inside out and hit a left foot rocket to the back of the net. The comeback was on. Eoin “Savo”Kenny was introduced and caused problems up front. His hard work was rewarded when he calmly took on two Dysart defenders and slotted home the equaliser. Nice season debut for “Savo”. Colemanstown were now on top and Dysart were rocked but the lads just couldn’t get the winner before the final whistle. David Mullins and Alan Finn Junior were introduced to freshen up things for extra time but both defences did their job well and the game went to penalties.

Richie Lally, David Mullins and Stephen Rabbitt struck their penalties beautifully and Alan Finn Junior made an outstanding save to send the Dysart lads home to Roscommon. 

Yet again this panel of players reminded us that they are never beaten. Pure heart and determination brought them back into the match after going two goals down. Only certain players can do that.

Next up is a big league game against Dynamo Blues on Sunday morning in Tuam at 11am.  Hopefully their pitch will be playable on this occasion as lads need to get games played. All support appreciated.