A mixed bag of results in the weekend sun

We had a busy weekend in the autumnal sunshine as one would be clearly forgiven for thinking it was the middle of June rather than the middle of October. We had 4 games down for decision, two on Saturday and two on Sunday. First up were our u13’s on Saturday morning as they took on Maree/Oranmore in the league. This was a dull affair as the scoring chances were few and far between. Indeed the game only sparked to life when the ref stated to both teams that there was 5 mins left to play. The visitors were the bigger outfit as most of this game was played in the middle third of the field. Colemanstown were far from their usual flowing football they showed us in the past as Maree/Oranmore were first to break the deadlock on 20mins when they were awarded a dubious free kick. Josh Brennan at centre back won the ball cleanly but the Oranmore striker fell in the aftermath and the ref gave the benefit of the doubt to the striker. They dispatched the resultant free kick to go 1-0 up. 5 mins into the 2nd half a genuine piece of quality kicking from a set piece allowed Thady Moran to score the equaliser when he sent the keeper the wrong way. There was little more notable play to shout about until 5 mins from the end when both sides got some shots in at goal but no one was able to find a winner. A hard earned draw was probably the fairest result in this instance. Mika Harun did well in midfield until he switched to the strike force in the 2nd half. Ethan Lally was outstanding in defence with some great tackles and drove forward on the wings on every opportunity. Newcomer Brian Kelly at right back got in some vital clearances while Thady Moran played his usual best at midfield. Thanks to Grainne Lally for the copious amounts of welcome tea and sandwiches galore provided for both sets of players. It’s greatly appreciated Grainne.

Colemanstown ‘B’ 3; Kilshanvey 2

For the second successive week, a depleted Colemanstown side togged for this latest league encounter against Tuam side Kilshanvey. Colemanstown hit the front after 10mins as Shane Bailey rose unmarked to head home a Martin Walsh corner for his first goal of the season. Sean Walsh was particularly to the fore in the early stages but he squandered his 2 one-on-one efforts; his first saved while his second flew over the bar.  Sean Walsh again, did the donkey work for Colemanstown’s second goal as he darted in from the right across the face of goal and found Shane Kenny with a crisp ball, which the winger controlled neatly before slotting past the hapless keeper and also notch his first competitive goal this year. Soon afterwards Colemanstown were caught napping when a quickly taken free kick by Kilshanvey resulted in a double save by the Colemanstown custodian Adrian Burke who showed some smart reflexes to deny the visitors but the Kilshanvey striker was perfectly positioned on the back post on the third time of asking. Just before half time Colemanstown restored their 2 goal cushion when Martin Walsh’s left footed free kick found the top left corner after a foul on Sean Walsh who was posing a fair share of trouble for Kilshanvey. 3-1 half time. Immediately following the resumption Bailey had the chance to increase the lead but his effort was well saved. It was tit for tat after that until a long range effort from Kilshanvey deceived Adrian Burke in the Colemanstown goals and so reduce the deficit. Colemanstown dealt admirably with the severe pressure for the final 20mins as their steady rearguard were not going to be breached as Gary Broderick, Kerrill Lally, Martin Walsh & Ross Sullivan with the latter particularly audacious in his display which is said to be partly attributed to the quality time spent with his girlfriend the night before! Kilshanvey pressed hard for an equaliser but Adrian Burke pulled off some great one-on-one efforts in the final few minutes to ensure Colemanstown deservedly claimed all 3points in this game.  Shane Bailey, Joe Finnerty, Ross Sullivan, Sean Walsh & John O’Brien were especially dominant.

Colemanstown ‘A’ 0; Salthill Devon 1

Two evenly matched teams served up a lively but ragged display in a tough and physical FAI Cup encounter on Sunday morning. A tired Colemanstown outfit showed up for this game predominately due to the fact that the vast majority of these lads had played in the Pearses vs Kiltormer senior hurling relegation battle the evening before. The one and only goal arrived midway through the first half with a free kick from the visitors across the box to the far corner which was headed home by the unmarked striker.  5mins later Damo Wynne had the best chance of the half for Colemanstown with a low hard shot from 30yards which skimmed the post. Colemanstown restarted the 2nd half well as Stephen Walsh was introduced for the injured Damo Wynne and they created a few chances, one notably from Walsh. It was tit for tat for most of the 2nd half action but only half chances falling to both sides.  Needless to say, this type of game serves up a nervy finish and this one was no different. The best chance of the equaliser came with 5mins left when Ray Moran just blazed wastefully over the bar after a great cross from Alan Finn. His immediate antics of burying his head in his hands told it all. With the last kick of the game Salthill’s keeper produced a great save from Conor Feeney after a free kick from Ray Moran initially came off the wall and fell kindly for Feeney. That was it as the Salthill roar which greeted the final whistle told it’s own story. Well done to our youngsters Johnny & Paddy Mullins (they’re not twins) who came of age at right back and right midfield respectively. Jayo Finn put in a fine display in defence while Ollie Crowe did his usual organising at the back. Ray Moran worked tirelessly in midfield while Gary Lally had a great first half.

Colemanstown U18’s 0; Moyne Villa 3

U18 division 1 kingpins played premier league leaders on Sunday in the first round of the Connacht cup at home in beautiful sunshine. Those who forgot to bring their sunglasses had to use their hands as a visor such was the powerful sunshine. Colemanstown  started the game at a really fast pace, throwing the ball around with confidence and creating some great chances from two brilliant corners supplied by Ronan Carr & Daniel Masterson within the first 10 minutes. With a half hour played Moyne Villa keeper had pulled off five good saves from Kieran Dowd, Daniel Masterson, Lee Murphy, Paul Lally & Sean Mc Gee. The reshuffled back four Ronan Carr, Lorcan Molloy, Gerard Warde & Brian Monaghan & keeper Keith Connell were in fact having a quiet day but five minutes before the break they played a back pass from midfield to our keeper which caught our players unaware as Moyne Villa went one up by half time. The lads got a little disheartened as a unit but nevertheless created good chances to level the game in the second half but just couldn’t make the break through. With fifteen minutes to go Colemanstown reshuffled the defence with three at the back and threw caution to the wind. The lads gave 100% effort and Moyne Villa scored two more goals with ten minutes to go. This result does no justice whatsoever to the team effort and performance put in by an extremely credible side so much so that the Moyne Villa manager encapsulated it all as he spoke to the Colemanstown lads after the game stating that the game was their stiffest and toughest test to date this season and there was absolutely no gulf in quality between the 2 sides.  Well done to the lads and management team on a brilliant team performance.

Meanwhile we welcome home our tired Camino walkers, Bernie & Catherine Burke & Cora Clancy who clocked up 110km in 5 very wet days and are still nursing their blisters!