U15’s Defeat Oughterard

Colemanstown’s under 15s took on Oughterard on Saturday with the game starting at a lively pace.  Early chances fell to Keith Murphy and Paul Lally. Oughterard had their first meaningful attack on the 15 min mark which yielded them a penalty which they duly converted. Five minutes later Keith Connell got the ball on the edge of the box and rifled the ball into the top corner to make it 1-1. More good chances fell to Keith Murphy, Aidan Monaghan, Ronan O Neill and Lee Murphy but they were unable to convert. On 35 minutes Lee Murphy swung in a right wing cross for Keith Murphy to head the ball home to make it 2-1. Colemanstown conceded just before the half to leave the score 2-2 at the break.

The second half was very competitive with end to end football being played. Both goalkeepers were called into action making excellent saves. Oughterard made it 3-2 half-way through the second half only for Keith Murphy to make it 3-3 with ten minutes to go. Both sides emptied the benches and Colemanstown had some great chances in extra-time to win the game with chances falling to Daniel Masterson, Keith Murphy and Lee murphy but the Oughterard keeper was brilliant on the day. Colemanstown won the game on penalties 4-3. Hero of the day was Colemanstown keeper Sean Murray just back from injury. Lee Murphy, Ronan O’Neill, Keith Connell and Aidian Monaghan all scored from the penalty spot. Well done to all the squad

Colemanstown 1st team were in action against Colga in the league. It was an important game as both teams are in the lower reaches of the table. Colemanstown were the better side throughout the contest but with the bobbly under foot condition it was difficult to create any meaningful openings. Colga took the lead on 20 min against the run of play. Colemanstown responded quickly through a beautifully struck free kick from Alan Finn. The 2nd half continued in much the same vein as the first. Colga again took the lead. A left wing corner was not dealt with by the defence and the ball was bundled to the net by the Colga attacker. Colemanstown introduced Damien Wynne, Kerrill Hardiman and Alan Walsh which added some pace to their attack. Colemanstown came close to an equaliser on a number of occasions with Richie Lally clipping the post from a long range effort and Tom Flannery had a couple of scoring opportunities. The 2nd goal came on the 40min mark when Ronan Geraghty got on the end of a Sean Hardiman corner. Colemanstown pushed on for the winner for the last 5 minutes but the Colga defence held firm.